WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Post Reply
mBrane
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:05 am

WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by mBrane » Sat May 23, 2020 12:58 am

So, given the new hex edited firmware as laid out by Mike, what is the dead simplest way to take a current retail WH16NS40 to WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk?

I'd like to hit the 30 min 49 sec rip time noted in https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19387.
* this actually calls for a BH16NS40, but can the same be achieved with the WH16NS40?

Any help appreciated. Thx in advance!
- mBrane

Billycar11
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by Billycar11 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:01 am

mBrane wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:58 am
So, given the new hex edited firmware as laid out by Mike, what is the dead simplest way to take a current retail WH16NS40 to WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk?

I'd like to hit the 30 min 49 sec rip time noted in https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19387.
* this actually calls for a BH16NS40, but can the same be achieved with the WH16NS40?

Any help appreciated. Thx in advance!
top pinned comment of this section i have a how to video

mBrane
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:05 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by mBrane » Sat May 23, 2020 1:21 am

I appreciate the reply. When I look at the top of the "UHD drives" forum, I see your thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

However, when I scroll down to the video section, the first video is from puddingistastyapples, where he talks about 32-bit Windows PE and IDE settings. I thought that Mike got us past that. Am I looking in the right place?
- mBrane

Billycar11
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by Billycar11 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:26 am

mBrane wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:21 am
I appreciate the reply. When I look at the top of the "UHD drives" forum, I see your thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

However, when I scroll down to the video section, the first video is from puddingistastyapples, where he talks about 32-bit Windows PE and IDE settings. I thought that Mike got us past that. Am I looking in the right place?
yes we are past that puddingistastyapples is me you clicked on the obsolete link click on the one above it. that shows the lg and asus flasher the asus has been updated since the video but its the same idea as the lg use either and select 1.02mk wh16ns60 and you are done.

mBrane
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:05 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by mBrane » Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 am

Quick follow-up: Just received my WH16NS40 1.04 unit and loaded WH16NS60 1.02MK firmware. Worked fine. Backed up UHD DVD via MakeMKV just fine. However, neither VLC nor 5KPlayer will play actual disc. Also, playing MKV *freezes* my entire system (sometimes plays smoothly for a minute, but randomly just freezes mouse and entire system and I have to reboot). I can play regular Bluray MKVs with VLC all day long, no stuttering... even with CPU stress test running simultaneously. Feels like an HEVC CODEC issue. I'm currently transcoding to H.264 @ 1080P30 (will be a while!), just to prove source file is OK and likely CODEC related.

So, any idea why I can't play disc directly and - more importantly - how the heck I go about troubleshooting this complete system freeze? No smoking gun in Windows Event Viewer. Thoughts?
- mBrane

Billycar11
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by Billycar11 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:18 am

mBrane wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 am
Quick follow-up: Just received my WH16NS40 1.04 unit and loaded WH16NS60 1.02MK firmware. Worked fine. Backed up UHD DVD via MakeMKV just fine. However, neither VLC nor 5KPlayer will play actual disc. Also, playing MKV *freezes* my entire system (sometimes plays smoothly for a minute, but randomly just freezes mouse and entire system and I have to reboot). I can play regular Bluray MKVs with VLC all day long, no stuttering... even with CPU stress test running simultaneously. Feels like an HEVC CODEC issue. I'm currently transcoding to H.264 @ 1080P30 (will be a while!), just to prove source file is OK and likely CODEC related.

So, any idea why I can't play disc directly and - more importantly - how the heck I go about troubleshooting this complete system freeze? No smoking gun in Windows Event Viewer. Thoughts?
what are your specs?

mBrane
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:05 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by mBrane » Wed May 27, 2020 12:35 pm

I appreciate the continued interest with helping me. In general, I would expect spec issues to result in video stuttering, playback refusing to start, or some other performance-type issues. Ripping control away from the Windows 10 kernel and freezing even the mouse is completely different and indicates something at Ring 0 gone rogue. OK, here are my specs:

- 6-core/12 HT Core i7 3930K (liquid cooled and running stably at 4 GHz for years now, including gaming and complete system stress tests that run overnight).
- Dual 680GTX (have tried in SLI mode and not. These cards are fully 4K capable, but worth noting that I'm only driving two HD/1920x1080 monitors)
- 32GB of quad-channel RAM (also liquid cooled)
- 1200w Corsair PS
- Entire motherboard liquid cooled, including voltage regulators
- Mix of SSD and mechanical hard drives (all SATA 6).

My rig stays on 24x7 for years on end. A real workhorse. I'm not one of those guys that just deals with reboots on the regular. That's why this stands out so much. Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.
- mBrane

Billycar11
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by Billycar11 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:15 pm

mBrane wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:35 pm



- Dual 680GTX (have tried in SLI mode and not. These cards are fully 4K capable, but worth noting that I'm only driving two HD/1920x1080 monitors)
Those cards don't support h.265/hvec decoding that's your problem also I wouldn't consider them fully 4k capable they support 4k at 30 fps max and no HDR.

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by MartyMcNuts » Thu May 28, 2020 12:57 am

mBrane wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 am
Quick follow-up: Just received my WH16NS40 1.04 unit and loaded WH16NS60 1.02MK firmware. Worked fine. Backed up UHD DVD via MakeMKV just fine. However, neither VLC nor 5KPlayer will play actual disc. Also, playing MKV *freezes* my entire system (sometimes plays smoothly for a minute, but randomly just freezes mouse and entire system and I have to reboot). I can play regular Bluray MKVs with VLC all day long, no stuttering... even with CPU stress test running simultaneously. Feels like an HEVC CODEC issue. I'm currently transcoding to H.264 @ 1080P30 (will be a while!), just to prove source file is OK and likely CODEC related.

So, any idea why I can't play disc directly and - more importantly - how the heck I go about troubleshooting this complete system freeze? No smoking gun in Windows Event Viewer. Thoughts?
If you PC does not meet the very specific UHD requirements, you will not be able to play UHD discs directly. They need to be decrypted first.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

Billycar11
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by Billycar11 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:10 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:57 am

If you PC does not meet the very specific UHD requirements, you will not be able to play UHD discs directly. They need to be decrypted first.
well you can in vlc but you need to uncheck the menus setting and it works with other unofficial players direct from disc too but the pc must support h.265 decoding and HDR for it to be wort it at all otherwise the regular bluray will look better.

mBrane
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:05 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by mBrane » Thu May 28, 2020 4:08 am

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:15 pm
Those cards don't support h.265/hvec decoding that's your problem also I wouldn't consider them fully 4k capable they support 4k at 30 fps max and no HDR.
VLC plays the HEVC-encoded 68 GB MKV smoothly and clearly for about 10 seconds, before completely freezing. No stuttering prior.

I believe that the CODECs are part of VLC and don’t require offloading to any GPU. I can decode and encode to H.265 all day long (just not in 4K). Unsure what your point is about the 680GTX and 4K: From NVIDIA’s spec sheet it does “4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport.” Sounds pretty 4K-ish to me.

The answer must lie elsewhere...
- mBrane

Billycar11
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by Billycar11 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 am

mBrane wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:08 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:15 pm
Those cards don't support h.265/hvec decoding that's your problem also I wouldn't consider them fully 4k capable they support 4k at 30 fps max and no HDR.
VLC plays the HEVC-encoded 68 GB MKV smoothly and clearly for about 10 seconds, before completely freezing. No stuttering prior.

I believe that the CODECs are part of VLC and don’t require offloading to any GPU. I can decode and encode to H.265 all day long (just not in 4K). Unsure what your point is about the 680GTX and 4K: From NVIDIA’s spec sheet it does “4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport.” Sounds pretty 4K-ish to me.

The answer must lie elsewhere...
No hvec h.265 that's the problem gtx 680 no have cpu decoding is buggy

mBrane
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:05 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by mBrane » Fri May 29, 2020 12:41 am

Well, sounds like a *great* excuse to get a 2080 RTX! :)
- mBrane

Billycar11
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by Billycar11 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:43 am

mBrane wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:41 am
Well, sounds like a *great* excuse to get a 2080 RTX! :)
your 1080p monitors are also likely not HDR and HDR movies on a SDR display looks worse than regular Bluray

mBrane
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:05 am

Re: WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 FW v1.02mk

Post by mBrane » Fri May 29, 2020 11:16 am

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:43 am
your 1080p monitors are also likely not HDR and HDR movies on a SDR display looks worse than regular Bluray
Obviously, but that’s not the point. My workstation is just a place for ripping, staging, and transcoding for my home theater and other platforms.
- mBrane

Post Reply